Plea filed against Taseer killer`s death penalty
Islamabad: A lawyer has filed a petition in a
Pakistani court challenging the death sentence given to the killer of Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer, even as the assassin`s counsel said that his client was unwilling to file an appeal against the verdict.
Lawyer G M Chaudhry filed a petition under a
Constitutional provision in the Islamabad High Court
yesterday, challenging the trial and sentencing of Taseer`s
murderer Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri by an anti-terrorism
Qadri, a police guard who was part of Taseer`s security
detail, had gunned down the outspoken Punjab Governor outside
a restaurant in Islamabad in January for calling for changes
in the country`s controversial blasphemy law.
Chaudhry contended that the Rawalpindi-based
anti-terrorism court could not, under the Constitution, hear a
case related to a murder committed in Islamabad.
The petition named the ministries of interior and law and
justice, the judge of the Rawalpindi-based anti-terrorism
court and the Punjab Home Department as respondents.
Qadri was convicted and sentenced to death on Saturday,
sparking protests across the country by hardline Islamic
The Islamabad High Court`s office noted that Chaudhry was
not an aggrieved person but said his petition might be fixed
for hearing tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand