Plea filed against Taseer killer`s death penalty
Islamabad: A lawyer has filed a petition in a
Pakistani court challenging the death sentence given to the killer of Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer, even as the assassin`s counsel said that his client was unwilling to file an appeal against the verdict.
Lawyer G M Chaudhry filed a petition under a
Constitutional provision in the Islamabad High Court
yesterday, challenging the trial and sentencing of Taseer`s
murderer Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri by an anti-terrorism
Qadri, a police guard who was part of Taseer`s security
detail, had gunned down the outspoken Punjab Governor outside
a restaurant in Islamabad in January for calling for changes
in the country`s controversial blasphemy law.
Chaudhry contended that the Rawalpindi-based
anti-terrorism court could not, under the Constitution, hear a
case related to a murder committed in Islamabad.
The petition named the ministries of interior and law and
justice, the judge of the Rawalpindi-based anti-terrorism
court and the Punjab Home Department as respondents.
Qadri was convicted and sentenced to death on Saturday,
sparking protests across the country by hardline Islamic
The Islamabad High Court`s office noted that Chaudhry was
not an aggrieved person but said his petition might be fixed
for hearing tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof