PM Gilani appeals for Karachi calm
Islamabad: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Friday appealed to the people from all walks of life to play their role in maintaining peace and security in Karachi.
Addressing a reception in honour of Special Athletes, who won medals in the Special Olympics held in Athens, the Prime Minister said, "Peace in Karachi is very important and every one should play part in maintaining peace in the city called mini-Pakistan."
"I appeal to every one living in Karachi that they should play due role and contribute positively in maintaining peace at Karachi to strengthen the city and the country," said the Prime Minister.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik confirmed that incidents of firing and grenade attacks have killed 85 people this week.
The Interior Minister also suspected hands of Taliban militants as well as land and drug mafias in the unrest.
Presiding over a high level meeting of top police officers in Karachi, he said that Taliban militants were spotted in Katti Pahari, one of the troubled areas.
"We have traced Taliban through satellite images," the Interior Minister said.
He announced that 1000 fresh force of militia "Frontier Constabulary" (FC) will be deployed to quell the miscreants.
He said the first contingent of 250 militia men will take position on Friday. He also hinted to deploy the army if required.
The FC will be deployed as the public and rival groups have blamed the police and paramilitary force `rangers` for failure to restore peace.
There was no let up and the violence claimed several lives Friday also and life was paralysed as the MQM had declared mourning over the deaths, residents said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you