PM Nepal slams Maoists for obstructing works at GMR`s project
Kathmandu: Prime Minister Madhav Kumar
Nepal on Thursday slammed the Maoists for obstructing works on the
600 MW Upper Marsyangdi project in Western Nepal, a
hydro-power scheme developed by Indian energy giant GMR.
Nepal asked the Maoists not to disrupt works on the
Upper Marsyangdi Power Project in Lamjung district of Western
India`s GMR Energy Consortium has been carrying out
survey works on the project. He asked the Maoists not to put
obstacle on any development works and not to mix politics in
Nepal, however assured that the government is
committed to maintain peace and security in the project site.
Upper Marsyangdi is one of the major hydro-power
projects being developed in Nepal by the Indian energy giant.
Prior to this the Maoists have threatened to halt the
works at 300 MW Upper Karnali, also being developed by GMR.
GMR is working to prepare Detailed Project Report of
the project. Nepal is currently suffering from acute power
shortage and the country is facing daily eleven power outage.
At present around 1 million people have been employed
in the handicraft sector and Nepal currently exports
handicrafts worth Rs 2 billion to foreign countries.
The Maoists have recently asked the GMR to halt its
work and leave the site, saying that the project is heavily in
India`s interest at the cost of Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read