PM Sharif calls visit to Switzerland after spike in violence
Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Sunday cancelled his visit to Davos in Switzerland to attend the World Economic Forum in the wake of a spike in terror attacks, including a bombing that killed 22 Pakistani troops.
"Our nation is united against extremism and terrorism and the sacrifices rendered by our citizens and personnel of law-enforcement agencies will not go in vain," an official statement quoted Sharif as saying.
Earlier, the premier strongly condemned the bomb attack on a military convoy at Bannu in the restive north-west that killed 22 soldiers and injured 38 more.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack and said they would continue targeting security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’