PM Sharif calls visit to Switzerland after spike in violence
Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Sunday cancelled his visit to Davos in Switzerland to attend the World Economic Forum in the wake of a spike in terror attacks, including a bombing that killed 22 Pakistani troops.
"Our nation is united against extremism and terrorism and the sacrifices rendered by our citizens and personnel of law-enforcement agencies will not go in vain," an official statement quoted Sharif as saying.
Earlier, the premier strongly condemned the bomb attack on a military convoy at Bannu in the restive north-west that killed 22 soldiers and injured 38 more.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack and said they would continue targeting security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez