PML-N goes to SC asking for probe into `Memogate’
Islamabad: In a bid to corner the Pakistani
government over the ‘Memogate’ controversy, the main
opposition party PML-N on Wednesday filed a constitutional petition
in the Supreme Court seeking a probe into the entire incident.
The petition filed by PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif`s lawyer
has named the President, the federal government, the army and
ISI chiefs, and the Foreign Secretary as parties to the case.
The petition also named former envoy to the US Husain Haqqani and Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, who
made the memo public, as parties to the case.
It referred to Ijaz`s revelations about the memo and asked
the court to direct President Asif Ali Zardari and Haqqani to
explain why they had initially denied his claims.
The apex court should also play its role to safeguard
national interests, the petition contended.
The controversy has already claimed the scalp of Haqqani,
who was forced out of office following his suspected
involvement in a memo handed over to the US, seeking support
for Zardari to avert a military coup after the American raid
in which Osama bin Laden was killed on May 2.
Earlier, addressing a rally in Faisalabad on Sunday, PML-N
chief Nawaz Sharif had warned he would approach the Supreme
Court if the government did not order an inquiry into the
"memogate" controversy within two days.
Senior PML-N leader Khwaja Asif told the media outside the
apex court today that the Army had been targeted in the secret
memo and defence institutions had thus been made party to the
Moreover, media reports had said the ISI chief had been
given some evidence by Mansoor Ijaz and it was important to
bring this material to light, he said.
In a related development, senior PML-N leader Ishaq Dar
called for the convening of a special meeting of the
parliamentary committee on national security to discuss Ijaz`s
revelations and the "memogate" controversy.
He made the demand in a letter sent to Raza Rabbani, the
head of the parliamentary panel.
Dar further demanded that the ISI chief and the Foreign
Secretary should be called to appear before the panel to give
their views on the issue.
Rabbani subsequently convened a meeting of the committee
on November 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared