PML-N govt to try Musharraf for treason: Sharif`s aide
Lahore: The incoming PML-N government is ready to hold the trial of former Pakistani military ruler Pervez Musharraf over charges of treason, a party leader said on Tuesday.
The caretaker government that conducted the May 11 polls had refused to initiate proceedings against Musharraf under Article 6 of the Constitution for treason because of its limited mandate, but the PML-N has decided not to spare the former Army chief who had overthrown the government of Nawaz Sharif in 1999.
"Yes we have decided to try Musharraf for treason in the Supreme Court. Musharraf had violated the Constitution and he should face the music," PML-N parliamentarian Tariq Azeem said.
Prime Minister-elect Nawaz Sharif was very clear about trying Musharraf for violating the Constitution, he said.
"Sharif has made it clear that he has no personal issue with Musharraf but he should be tried for breaking the law and violating the Constitution," Azeem said.
The caretaker government recently informed the Supreme Court of its inability to conduct the trial of Musharraf.
It told the apex court it could not take any controversial step that would be irreversible for the incoming elected government.
The PML-N won the General Election and Sharif is set to become premier for a record third term.
Musharraf is currently being held at his farmhouse on the outskirts of Islamabad, which has been declared a "sub-jail".
He is facing charges over the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto, the killing of Baloch nationalist leader Akbar Bugti in a 2006 military operation and the detention of dozens of judges during the 2007 emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves