PML-N leader shot dead in Karachi
Karachi: A leader of the PML-N has been shot dead along with his father in this Pakistani port city fuelling fears that there could be more violence leading up to the general elections.
30-year-old Mian Taimur, the PML-N`s deputy secretary in Sindh, and his father Mian Arbab were gunned down in Karachi`s upscale neighbourhood of Defence.
Taimur is the second politician in a week to become the victim of a targeted killing in Karachi, raising fears of violence as the country moves closer to general elections.
Last week provincial lawmaker of the Mutthaida Qaumi Movement Manzar Imam was assassinated in Orangi Town.
Police said they were still searching for clues to the killing of Taimur and his father.
Both were sitting in a car outside a medical store when armed assailants on motorcycles opened fire.
"It was a targeted attack," a spokesman for the police, Imran Shaukat said.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the killing.
The Tehreek-e-Taliban had claimed responsibility for the killing of MQM lawmaker and three of his bodyguards.
Shaukat said there were other target killings as well.
Though he gave the figure of nine deaths, other police sources and rescue officials said around 13 people including the PML N leader were killed yesterday.
Those killed included a CID inspector and a doctor.
Shaukat said the killing of the doctor was apparently a sectarian killing case as he was a Shia.
Pakistan`s biggest city has been hit by violence since last year with around 2,000 people killed.
With the elections due sometime in May, there are fears that the Taliban and other militant or criminal groups will try to create fear in the city by targeting politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh