PML-N leader shot dead in Karachi
Karachi: A leader of the PML-N has been shot dead along with his father in this Pakistani port city fuelling fears that there could be more violence leading up to the general elections.
30-year-old Mian Taimur, the PML-N`s deputy secretary in Sindh, and his father Mian Arbab were gunned down in Karachi`s upscale neighbourhood of Defence.
Taimur is the second politician in a week to become the victim of a targeted killing in Karachi, raising fears of violence as the country moves closer to general elections.
Last week provincial lawmaker of the Mutthaida Qaumi Movement Manzar Imam was assassinated in Orangi Town.
Police said they were still searching for clues to the killing of Taimur and his father.
Both were sitting in a car outside a medical store when armed assailants on motorcycles opened fire.
"It was a targeted attack," a spokesman for the police, Imran Shaukat said.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the killing.
The Tehreek-e-Taliban had claimed responsibility for the killing of MQM lawmaker and three of his bodyguards.
Shaukat said there were other target killings as well.
Though he gave the figure of nine deaths, other police sources and rescue officials said around 13 people including the PML N leader were killed yesterday.
Those killed included a CID inspector and a doctor.
Shaukat said the killing of the doctor was apparently a sectarian killing case as he was a Shia.
Pakistan`s biggest city has been hit by violence since last year with around 2,000 people killed.
With the elections due sometime in May, there are fears that the Taliban and other militant or criminal groups will try to create fear in the city by targeting politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?