PML-N leader shot dead in Karachi
Karachi: A leader of the PML-N has been shot dead along with his father in this Pakistani port city fuelling fears that there could be more violence leading up to the general elections.
30-year-old Mian Taimur, the PML-N`s deputy secretary in Sindh, and his father Mian Arbab were gunned down in Karachi`s upscale neighbourhood of Defence.
Taimur is the second politician in a week to become the victim of a targeted killing in Karachi, raising fears of violence as the country moves closer to general elections.
Last week provincial lawmaker of the Mutthaida Qaumi Movement Manzar Imam was assassinated in Orangi Town.
Police said they were still searching for clues to the killing of Taimur and his father.
Both were sitting in a car outside a medical store when armed assailants on motorcycles opened fire.
"It was a targeted attack," a spokesman for the police, Imran Shaukat said.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the killing.
The Tehreek-e-Taliban had claimed responsibility for the killing of MQM lawmaker and three of his bodyguards.
Shaukat said there were other target killings as well.
Though he gave the figure of nine deaths, other police sources and rescue officials said around 13 people including the PML N leader were killed yesterday.
Those killed included a CID inspector and a doctor.
Shaukat said the killing of the doctor was apparently a sectarian killing case as he was a Shia.
Pakistan`s biggest city has been hit by violence since last year with around 2,000 people killed.
With the elections due sometime in May, there are fears that the Taliban and other militant or criminal groups will try to create fear in the city by targeting politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players