PML-N leaders Iqbal, Asif tipped as Pak Foreign Minister
Islamabad: Senior PML-N leaders Ahsan Iqbal and Khwaja Asif are being tipped for the post of Foreign Minister following the party`s resounding victory in Pakistan`s general elections.
Sources said Iqbal, a 54-year-old graduate of the Wharton School of Business, and Asif, a 63-year-old former banker, were considered frontrunners for heading the crucial Foreign Ministry.
Both the parliamentarians from Punjab are considered to be very close to PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, who is set for an unprecedented third term as Pakistan`s Prime Minister.
Sharif has already signalled his intentions to improve relations with India, including greater economic ties.
Iqbal and Asif served as ministers in the cabinet of former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani when the Pakistan People`s Party and the PML-N formed a short-lived coalition after the last general elections in 2008.
Iqbal is also one of the spokesmen of the PML-N.
Some reports said PML-N leader Ishaq Dar, widely tipped to be the Finance Minister, could be considered for the post of Foreign Minister.
Siddiq-ul-Farooq, another PML-N spokesman, told journalists that Dar, 64, would head the new government`s economic team as Finance Minister.
Dar, a member of the Senate or upper house of parliament, served as Finance Minister in the PPP-led government before the PML-N pulled out of the coalition in 2008.
During his stint as Finance Minister in the last PML-N government, Dar played a key role in tackling economic challenges faced by Pakistan after sanctions were imposed by Western powers following the 1998 nuclear tests.
Dar will have a central role in Sharif`s plans to revitalise Pakistan`s economy, plagued by sluggish growth and one of the lowest tax collection rates in South Asia.
He will have to prepare the new budget by June and also may have to negotiate a fresh bailout with the International Monetary Fund.
As a sign of its intention to foster reconciliation in
the troubled southwestern province of Balochistan, the PML-N may appoint Pashtunkhwa Milli Awami Party chief Mehmood Khan Achakzai as the Speaker of the new National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
Achakzai is a Pashtun nationalist from Balochistan and his party could be part of the PML-N`s efforts to form a government in that province.
Senior PML-N leader Khurram Dastagir Khan was being considered for the post of Commerce Minister while Abdul Qadir Baloch, a party leader from Balochistan, was tipped for the post of Interior Minister, sources said.
However, the results of the constituency from which Baloch contested the polls are yet to be announced.
PML-N spokespersons Pervaiz Rashid, Mushhidullah Khan and Khwaja Saad Rafique were being considered for the post of Information and Broadcasting Minister, sources said.
The PML-N has emerged as the single largest party in Pakistan`s general election by bagging 122 of the 272 parliamentary seats that went to the polls, according to results announced today by the Election Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India