PML-N nominates Nawaz Sharif for Pakistan PM
Islamabad: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) on Sunday nominated its chief Nawaz Sharif for the post of prime minister, two weeks after the party won the general elections, reported Xinhua.
The PML-N has secured the simple majority with the aid of independent members and it has no problem to get Sharif elected as the prime minister.
According to the PML-N, the party has formally nominated Nawaz Sharif for the top post. However, the final approval of the nomination will be made during a party meeting before the start of the session of National Assembly.
Nawaz Sharif has served Pakistan twice and he would be the first Pakistani to lead the country for third time.
The PML-N top leadership has unanimously approved the name of Nawaz Sharif for the key position and his nomination will now have to be approved by a parliamentary committee.
PML-N has already bagged 126 general seats out of 268 elected seats, and with the joining of the 18 independents, the strength of PML-N has reached 144 in the 342-member National Assembly, or lower house of the parliament.
Its strength will swell further after the inclusion of women and minorities reserved seats under proportionate system.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, led by former cricket captain Imran Khan, has announced to field a senior leader, Javed Hashmi to challenge Sharif.
PTI was placed third as the outgoing ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) was the second in terms of parliamentary seats after the PML-N.
The PPP has not yet decided to field a candidate for the slot of the prime minister.
Some of the PPP leaders had earlier hinted they are likely to support Nawaz Sharif but no final decision has yet been taken.
No date has yet been fixed for the first session of the National Assembly which will elect the prime minister.
Interim Information Minister, Arif Nizami, said that the assembly session will be summoned by June 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information