PML-N to petition SC to challenge speaker`s ruling
Islamabad: The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has decided to challenge National Assembly Speaker Dr Fehmida Mirza`s ruling regarding Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani`s disqualification following a contempt case, in the Supreme Court.
PML-N MNA from Sialkot, Khwaja Mohammad Asif, will file the petition under Article 184(3) of the Constitution, reports The Dawn.
The move came a day after the Pakistan People`s Party announced its decision against filing an appeal before the apex court against Gilani`s conviction.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan has also announced that he would challenge the speaker`s ruling in the apex court.
In his petition, Asif has requested the apex court to declare the speaker``s ruling "arbitrary, capricious and illegal" and "restrain" Gilani "from continuing to act as a member of the National Assembly and from exercising the powers of the prime minister, pending final adjudication of this petition".
He has also requested the court to "direct the Election Commission of Pakistan to expeditiously decide" the question of Gilani`s disqualification.
The Supreme Court through a short order on April 26 had sentenced Gilani till the rising of the court for "ridiculing" it by not writing a letter to Swiss authorities for re-opening a money-laundering case against PPP co-chairman and President Asif Ali Zardari.
NA speaker Dr Fehmida Mirza through her ruling had refused to send a disqualification reference against Gilani to the Election Commission, stating that the charges against the prime minister "do not give grounds for his disqualification".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata