PML-Q legislator immigrated to India on free will: PPP
Karachi: The Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) has attempted to turn down speculations that Pakistan Muslim League-Q (PML-Q) minority member of the Sindh Assembly Ram Singh Sodho had immigrated to India due to victimisation.
A PPP spokesman, Latif Mughal, said that Sodho had started his immigration process during the Musharraf regime and two of his sons and other family members had shifted to Gujarat in 2000.
“Sodho has immigrated to India voluntarily and many people from Hindu community in Sindh have been moving to India out of their own free will,” the Daily Times quoted Mughal, as saying.
Mughal further said that Sodho had never complained that he had been facing any threat.
“The PPP is the only political party in Pakistan which had always stood for the protection and equal rights of minorities,” the spokesman said.
He also said that one of Sodho’s sons, Dilip Singh, had died during the 2001 Gujarat earthquake.
“The matter was widely reported in the local press,” he added.
Latif said that Sodho’s other son, Guman Singh Sodho, was an elected member of the Tharparkar district council. He moved to India in 2007 without formally resigning from the council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case