Police arrests 4 top TTP militants in Pakistan
Karachi: In a crackdown on terrorists
before Moharram, police have arrested four top militants of
the banned Pakistani Taliban, including its Karachi head, who
were planning suicide attacks on security installations,
shrines and religious processions.
Senior officials of the CID police, Omer Shahid and
Fayyaz Khan told a news conference in Karachi that the four
were arrested from the Sohrab Goth area on the outskirts of
"One of them is presently leading the TTP leadership
in Karachi and is the local ameer," Omer said.
The four Amanuddin Munnoo, Ehsan Ullah, Barkat Ullah
and Umer Sohrab, the police official said had recently reached
Karachi from the North Waziristan tribal agency.
"We have recovered several jackets used in suicide
attacks one of them having around 12 kg explosive, ammunition
and other material during the raid," Khan said.
He said the four men had confessed that they were
sent to Karachi on the orders of Taliban chief, Hakimullah
Mehsud to carry out terror attacks.
Khan said the four planned to not only attack police
and security installations but also shrines and tombs and
processions that are taken out in the month of Muharram.
"I think we have averted major terror attacks with
the arrest of these four men," Omer said.
Security has been stepped up in many parts of the
city specially the sensitive red zone alert areas after
militants attacked the CID office close to the Chief
Minister`s house last month causing major damage and killed 18
people and wounding 135 others.
Earlier also suicide bombers had attacked the shrine
of Abdullah Shah Ghazi mazar in the Clifton area.
Security has been a major issue and worry for the
government in Pakistan in the last few years with activists
from the TTP and other banned jihadi outfits carrying out
several terror attacks in which around 3,000 people have lost
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!