Police averts terror attack in the northwest Pak
Islamabad: Pakistani police Tuesday said they had averted a terrorist attack in the northwestern city of Peshawar by arresting a would-be suicide bomber and a teenager.
The two persons, who were riding a motorcycle, were stopped for a routine check by a police team at Bara Road in the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province this evening.
Policemen then discovered that one of them was wearing a suicide vest and called in the bomb disposal squad.
Dramatic footage aired by TV news channels showed a member of the bomb disposal squad wearing protective clothing removing a suicide vest strapped to the chest of a youth lying on the ground.
Shafqat Malik, the chief of the bomb disposal squad, said the vest contained about eight kilogrammes of explosives.
Officials said one of the arrested persons belonged to Peshawar while the other hailed from Khyber Agency.
There was confusion about the incident due to conflicting claims made by authorities.
Some officials said the youth wearing the suicide vest had claimed he had been forced to don the explosives while state-run Radio Pakistan reported both the persons were would-be suicide bombers.
The arrested persons were taken to an undisclosed location for questioning.
Security forces across Pakistan are on high alert to prevent terrorist attacks during the Islamic month of Muharram, which has been marred by violence in the past.
Officials said they had received a tip-off that terrorists from the lawless Khyber Agency could infiltrate Peshawar to carry out attacks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed