Police averts terror attack in the northwest Pak
Islamabad: Pakistani police Tuesday said they had averted a terrorist attack in the northwestern city of Peshawar by arresting a would-be suicide bomber and a teenager.
The two persons, who were riding a motorcycle, were stopped for a routine check by a police team at Bara Road in the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province this evening.
Policemen then discovered that one of them was wearing a suicide vest and called in the bomb disposal squad.
Dramatic footage aired by TV news channels showed a member of the bomb disposal squad wearing protective clothing removing a suicide vest strapped to the chest of a youth lying on the ground.
Shafqat Malik, the chief of the bomb disposal squad, said the vest contained about eight kilogrammes of explosives.
Officials said one of the arrested persons belonged to Peshawar while the other hailed from Khyber Agency.
There was confusion about the incident due to conflicting claims made by authorities.
Some officials said the youth wearing the suicide vest had claimed he had been forced to don the explosives while state-run Radio Pakistan reported both the persons were would-be suicide bombers.
The arrested persons were taken to an undisclosed location for questioning.
Security forces across Pakistan are on high alert to prevent terrorist attacks during the Islamic month of Muharram, which has been marred by violence in the past.
Officials said they had received a tip-off that terrorists from the lawless Khyber Agency could infiltrate Peshawar to carry out attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 82 seats, BJP in 47; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains lead in BMC poll results, begins celebrations in Mumbai; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur