Police, judiciary among most corrupt institutions
Karachi: Pakistan`s judiciary and police have
been ranked among the most corrupt institutions in the nation
in an annual survey carried out by an international anti-graft
watchdog, which also for the first time included the powerful
military of the country in its poll.
Land administration and police were the two most corrupt
institutions, while education and military were the least
corrupt departments, according to Transparency International
Pakistan`s national corruption perception survey, 2011.
The judiciary and courts became the fourth most corrupt,
two up from the sixth position recorded last year, Dawn
The taxation department slipped to the third rank from
its previous eight position, while Customs and Tendering and
Contracting departments have shown alarming increase in the
Police had topped all the previous years` surveys but the
land administration has crossed them and the factor of the
`Land Mafia` was one of the big reasons for this increase.
The annual survey report was released at Karachi Press
Club in a press conference by TIP Chairman Sohail Muzaffar,
along with TIP Advisory Committee Chairman Syed Adil Gilani.
This year`s survey has been conducted by Gallup Pakistan
Muzaffar said that judiciary was confronted by deliberate
defiance in implementing Supreme Court orders and delay in
punishing corrupt persons by the judiciary was one of the
causes of its lower ranking.
On the inclusion of military in the survey, the TIP
chairman said, "... Gallup itself has added military and they
have not put railways in the survey".
He said the military should not be placed before the
education in the rank because according to him military is
less corrupt than the education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video