Police raid Afghan bars, arrest nine: Report
Kabul: Police in the Afghan capital
seized thousands of bottles of alcohol from restaurants and
bars frequented by foreigners, local media reported on Thursday.
Alcohol is illegal in the Islamic country though some
bars and restaurants in Kabul do serve drinks to the thousands
of foreigners based in the city.
Nine people, including women and foreigners, were
arrested in the raids earlier this week, the Outlook newspaper
quoted police as saying.
As a result, some bars and restaurants had closed and
others had stopped serving alcohol, one restaurateur in the
"The police have not been here but you never know who
is watching," he said.
Outlook quoted Brigadier General Syed Adbul Ghafaar
Syedzada, head of Kabul`s criminal police branch, as saying
the raids were prompted by tip-offs and intelligence.
He said 6,312 bottles of alcohol had been seized,
5,198 of them beer.
Among those arrested were seven women from Tajikistan,
Kazakhstan, Bosnia, Libya and Afghanistan, the newspaper said.
It quoted Syedzada as saying such establishments
"mislead the young and encourage them to act immorally".
Raids on bars and restaurants selling alcohol are
unusual but not unheard of in Kabul, and are generally
believed to be motivated by money.
Bar owners in Kabul have said they pay enormous bribes
to police to remain open.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO