Police say can`t provide foolproof security to Musharraf
Islamabad: Pakistani Police on Saturday said they cannot provide foolproof security to former President Pervez Musharraf when he appears in an anti-terrorism court here on December 20.
In a reply submitted to the court that is hearing a case related to the detention of judges during the 2007 emergency imposed by Musharraf, police said it would be impossible to provide foolproof security to him as there is a risk of attacks on the former army chief.
"The police have submitted that they cannot give foolproof security to him because of heightened risk to his life," Aasia Ishaque, a spokesperson for Musharraf’s party told.
Illyas Siddiqui, appearing on behalf of Musharraf, asked the judge to exempt him from today`s hearing and the request was granted.
An application submitted by Musharraf`s counsel said it was perilous for the former president to appear in court. The hearings should be held at a secure location, it said.
A representative of the Interior Ministry informed the judge that an alternative location was being assessed for the trial.
The court directed police and the local administration to ensure improved security and to submit a report on the issue at the next hearing of the case on December 20.
The outlawed Pakistani Taliban have threatened to target Musharraf, saying they have formed a special squad of suicide bombers to attack him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?