Police set up bunkers outside govt offices, courts in Lahore
Lahore: Acting on intelligence inputs about
fresh terror threats, Pakistani police on Thursday launched the
process of setting up bunkers outside the offices of law
enforcement agencies, courts and the civil secretariat here to
thwart possible attacks.
Intelligence agencies alerted police that the next
possible target of terrorists could be police officials,
judges and bureaucrats.
"Our report from sources says that the terrorists are now
planning to launch a major attack on government functionaries
in Lahore," an official of Crime Investigation Department told
a news agency.
Police commandos will be deployed at the bunkers set up
at strategic locations in view of the nature of the terrorist
threat, said the official, who did not want to be named.
Around 400 policemen have been interviewed by authorities
to join a new anti-terror force being set up by the Punjab
The CID official said the terrorists keep changing their
plans and law enforcement agencies have to frame new
strategies to counter them.
A total of 100 people, including security officials, were
killed in a string of terrorist attacks on two mosques of the
minority Ahmedi sect and a hospital in Lahore during the past
Law enforcement agencies have been on their toes since
then, officials said.
Police reviewed the security apparatus in the city
following directions issued by their higher-ups.
In a related development, a terror suspect was taken into
custody in the Mozang area of Lahore by officials of an
The man, who was not identified, is said to have links
with the recent terror attacks in Lahore.
The suspect was taken to a secret investigation centre
after being blindfolded, witnesses said.
The arrest in the congested Mozang area triggered fear
among local residents.
Since last year, members of the Punjabi Taliban have
carried out several audacious attacks in Lahore.
Offices of the Federal Investigation Agency and ISI were
targeted in these assaults.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!