Policeman killed, 17 injured in Pak blast
Islamabad: A policeman was killed and 17 others were injured on Saturday in northwest Pakistan`s Peshawar city when a roadside bomb targeted a security van that was taking prisoners to a court.
The bomb targeted a police van on the main road at Gulbahar area, police officials and witnesses said.
The police van was destroyed by the blast. Several other vehicles were also damaged.
The injured were taken to a nearby hospital, where a policeman succumbed to his injuries.
Officials described the condition of two injured policemen as critical.
The road was closed for traffic after the blast.
Officials said the police van was taking prisoners to a court in another city when it was attacked.
It was unclear if any militants were among the prisoners.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the Taliban.
This was the second bomb attack in two days that targeted police in Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
A senior police officer escaped unhurt in a roadside bomb attack yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'