Policeman killed, 17 injured in Pak blast
Islamabad: A policeman was killed and 17 others were injured on Saturday in northwest Pakistan`s Peshawar city when a roadside bomb targeted a security van that was taking prisoners to a court.
The bomb targeted a police van on the main road at Gulbahar area, police officials and witnesses said.
The police van was destroyed by the blast. Several other vehicles were also damaged.
The injured were taken to a nearby hospital, where a policeman succumbed to his injuries.
Officials described the condition of two injured policemen as critical.
The road was closed for traffic after the blast.
Officials said the police van was taking prisoners to a court in another city when it was attacked.
It was unclear if any militants were among the prisoners.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the Taliban.
This was the second bomb attack in two days that targeted police in Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
A senior police officer escaped unhurt in a roadside bomb attack yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray