Polish troops find a baby girl instead of IED in Afghanistan
London: At first, the passing soldiers checking a route in Afghanistan thought they had come across an improvised explosive device but on closer look they realised that inside a bundle on the roadside was an abandoned newborn baby girl, alive and wrapped in a towel.
The Polish troops on patrol near their Waghez military base took the two-day-old to a medical centre at the base - and called her Pola, after the name of their country.
She was examined by military doctors after the shock discovery on Wednesday - and soldiers were sent to buy baby formula, a bottle and a bib, the News agencies reported.
No other people or buildings were found within a one-mile radius, and it was unclear who had left the baby there and why.
When they first saw the bundle, the soldiers were suspicious as it was in a country where hidden roadside bombs are prevalent, the report said adding that the troops planned to hand her over to Afghan paediatricians and authorities.
Their find happened a day after a British servicewoman gave birth in Afghanistan, after not realising she was pregnant.
The woman, who is originally from Fiji, had a healthy son at Camp Bastion on Tuesday. Both mother and baby are in a stable condition and will be flown home in the coming days.
That birth took place just four days after the camp was attacked by Taliban insurgents who destroyed six aircraft and killed two US Marines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli