Political war akin to LTTE battle: Fonseka
Colombo: Sought to be mired in coup conspiracies, Sri Lanka`s embattled former Army chief Sarath Fonseka has hit back likening the "political battle" he is facing to military campaign he ran against Tamil Tigers.
"The war against LTTE was not won easily. Similarly, the political battle will also not be easy," Fonseka said of his current travails, as the government has threatened to make him face court martial on conspiracy charges.
"But as with the war against terrorism, this too is a battle that will see us emerging victorious," he said in a thanksgiving statement on the January 26 Presidential Elections carried by the Daily Mirror as a full page advertisement.
He termed as "ridiculous" allegations that have been levelled against him and thanked all those who had worked for his Presidential Election campaign.
"We are accused of plotting a coup; our movements are being restricted; my staff members arrested; the hotel we were staying in was surrounded; even now I am unable to move freely," he said in the statement.
"...These are not the actions expected from those who are confident in its victory, but of a group that is now facing the perils of its own duplicity.”
"These actions will not deter us. In fact the more they harass, hound and bully us the greater will be our determination to fight for justice for democracy and change," Fonseka said.
"You didn`t vote to fracture the country or create conflict. You voted for unity, hopeful of taking the country forward towards a better future... I won`t let your hopes be dashed and pledge to you that I will not let you down," a combative Fonseka said.
The former Army chief vowed to "continue to democratically fight for peoples` rights and for justice", no matter what he face.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’