Polls to local bodies held in SW Pakistan
Islamabad: Polls to local government bodies were on Saturday held in Pakistan`s restive Balochistan province for the first time in eight years amidst sporadic violence and heavy security deployment.
Despite separatist groups calling a shutdown in the province and warning people not to vote, polling was conducted smoothly in 32 districts.
There were no official polling figures but media reports suggested the turnout may not have been very high.
Over 18,000 candidates are contesting for over 4,600 seats. According to the provincial Election Commission, there are 3.3 million registered voters, including 675,634 women.
In Khuzdar district, polling was stopped following a clash between two groups. Four persons were injured in a clash in Hub.
Women were initially stopped from voting in the troubled Noshki district but they were able to exercise their franchise after the administration intervened.
In some of the province`s most troubled and backward regions, voters waited in line for hours in the absence of election materials. In one instance, political parties expressed reservations over the administration`s attitude and hindered voting.
The provincial government allocated Rs 550 million for security arrangements, including the deployment of security forces. With 2,776 of the 5,325 polling stations declared sensitive, security was beefed up since yesterday.
According to the home department, 19,322 policemen, 16,312 Frontier Corps personnel, 5,325 soldiers 11,123 Levies personnel were deployed to ensure smooth polling.
Besides attacks by separatist groups, the province is affected by decades of inter-tribal feuds, mainly between Baloch and Pashtun, that flare up as election fever triggers a tug of war between rival candidates.
A large number of political leaders are facing threats from militant groups, mainly the Baloch Libration Front led by Allah Nazar, who asked people to boycott the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception