Power cuts darken Pakistan in Ramzan
Islamabad: Power cuts continued in several cities and towns in all four provinces of Pakistan despite the government`s assurances not to resort to load-scheduling during the holy month of Ramzan, a media report said Thursday.
Protests were held in many cities against the power outages despite government assurances of uninterrupted power supply, especially at `Sahri` (the pre-dawn meal before the fast begins) and `Iftaar` (the ritual of breaking the fast in the evening), the Urdu daily Jang reported.
The power cuts lasted 12 to 18 hours in most cities, and even for 20 hours at some places, forcing people to scramble around in the dark for the pre-fast meal.
Larkana town of Sind observed a protest shutdown, with all business and commercial establishments and even petrol vends closed. Resentment was also brewing in other towns such as Hyderabad, Mirpur Khas, Nawabshah and Sukkur where long and unannounced power cuts were reported throughout the day and night.
In Punjab province, long hours of outages were reported from Lahore, Multan, Faislabad, Gujranwala and Sargodha, while in Balochistan electricity remained truant most of the day in Quetta, Chaman, Nasirabad and Zhob.
In Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, cities that suffered long hours of power cuts included Peshawar, Swat, Naushera and Mardan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation