Power cuts darken Pakistan in Ramzan
Islamabad: Power cuts continued in several cities and towns in all four provinces of Pakistan despite the government`s assurances not to resort to load-scheduling during the holy month of Ramzan, a media report said Thursday.
Protests were held in many cities against the power outages despite government assurances of uninterrupted power supply, especially at `Sahri` (the pre-dawn meal before the fast begins) and `Iftaar` (the ritual of breaking the fast in the evening), the Urdu daily Jang reported.
The power cuts lasted 12 to 18 hours in most cities, and even for 20 hours at some places, forcing people to scramble around in the dark for the pre-fast meal.
Larkana town of Sind observed a protest shutdown, with all business and commercial establishments and even petrol vends closed. Resentment was also brewing in other towns such as Hyderabad, Mirpur Khas, Nawabshah and Sukkur where long and unannounced power cuts were reported throughout the day and night.
In Punjab province, long hours of outages were reported from Lahore, Multan, Faislabad, Gujranwala and Sargodha, while in Balochistan electricity remained truant most of the day in Quetta, Chaman, Nasirabad and Zhob.
In Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, cities that suffered long hours of power cuts included Peshawar, Swat, Naushera and Mardan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head