PPP men to converse in Urdu to make Bilawal fluent
Islamabad: Workers of the ruling Pakistan
People’s Party (PPP) have been asked to speak in Urdu and
Sindhi with their chairman, Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, who has
spent most of his life abroad and is not totally fluent with
Bilawal, who recently graduated from Oxford University
and mostly speaks in English, has been playing a larger role
in the affairs of the PPP since the party`s co-chairman,
President Asif Ali Zardari, left for Dubai last week to seek
treatment for a heart condition.
The direction to PPP workers to speak to 23-year-old
Bilawal in Urdu and Sindhi is part of efforts to groom him for
his role as party chairman, The Express Tribune reported.
He started learning Urdu and Sindhi after the recent
death of his grandmother Nusrat.
The PPP is considering hiring a tutor for him, so he can
master both languages as soon as possible.
Bilawal is not the first Bhutto with limited grasp of
local languages. His mother, slain former premier Benazir
Bhutto, and his grandfather Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, too went to
Oxford and learnt Urdu and Sindhi as secondary languages
before taking over the party.
"Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and his daughter were fluent in
Urdu....but they had grammatical issues, and the accents were
not clear," said Ghulam Hussain, a close associate of Zulfikar
"You cannot imagine Zulfikar Ali Bhutto`s aptitude
for languages. He learnt Sindhi and Urdu in a very short span
of time," he added.
Despite hailing from a Sindhi-speaking family, Zulfiqar
Ali Bhutto`s command over the language was "initially
"The Bhutto family was immersed in Sindhi culture, but
since his mother, Khursheed Begum, was not Sindhi speaking, he
did not learn Sindhi during his childhood," said Hussain.
His eldest daughter, Benazir, followed in her father`s
footsteps in her limited grasp of Urdu and Sindhi.
"The first time I saw Benazir interacting in Urdu and
Sindhi was with her household help at 70 Clifton (in Karachi),
after she completed her education and returned from aboard,"
said Munawar Ali Abbasi, a PPP provincial minister from
Larkana, the Bhutto family`s traditional stronghold.
Benazir was forced to learn local languages after she
returned from exile in 1986, when she came into direct contact
with the people.
"I remember the initial days when we visited a village
near Dadu, and Benazir was trying to speak in Sindhi with the
locals," said Shamim Ara Panhwar, a PPP office-bearer.
"Her Sindhi skills were almost non-existent. It was
difficult for the locals to understand her Sindhi, with an
English accent. She tried to speak Urdu but ended up using
English words," Panhwar said.
"After that, she strictly asked us to speak to her in
Sindhi, to learn the language."
Benazir Bhutto learnt Urdu and Sindhi from a maid whom
everyone called Ama, said former PPP activist Nuzhat Pathan.
Initially, Benazir wrote her speeches in English and
delivered them in Urdu, but later she started writing them in
roman Urdu, Pathan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor