PPP nominates Gilani`s son to contest by-poll
Islamabad: The ruling Pakistan People’s Party has nominated former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani`s son to contest the by-poll from his parliamentary constituency in Multan following his disqualification by the Supreme Court.
Four days after the apex court disqualified Gilani due to his conviction of contempt, the PPP yesterday said his son Abdul Qadir Gilani would contest the by-poll in Multan constituency in Punjab scheduled for July 19.
Abdul Qadir is currently a member of the Punjab Assembly.
Gilani`s daughter Fiza Batool too posted a message about the decision to field her brother on micro-blogging site Twitter. "PPP nominates Syed Abdul Qadir Gilani to contest from (the parliamentary seat in) Multan," she wrote.
In another post, she said the "court of the people will give their verdict on 19th July".
Ali Musa, another son of the former premier, was recently elected to the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament.
However, both Ali Musa and Abdul Qadir have been linked to corruption scandals.
While Ali Musa has been accused of involvement in alleged irregularities in the import of a large quantity of the controlled drug Ephedrine, Abdul Qadir has been linked to a scam in the arrangement of the Haj pilgrimage.
Both brothers have denied the allegations levelled against them and Gilani has said his sons were framed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda