PPP nominates Gilani`s son to contest by-poll
Islamabad: The ruling Pakistan People’s Party has nominated former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani`s son to contest the by-poll from his parliamentary constituency in Multan following his disqualification by the Supreme Court.
Four days after the apex court disqualified Gilani due to his conviction of contempt, the PPP yesterday said his son Abdul Qadir Gilani would contest the by-poll in Multan constituency in Punjab scheduled for July 19.
Abdul Qadir is currently a member of the Punjab Assembly.
Gilani`s daughter Fiza Batool too posted a message about the decision to field her brother on micro-blogging site Twitter. "PPP nominates Syed Abdul Qadir Gilani to contest from (the parliamentary seat in) Multan," she wrote.
In another post, she said the "court of the people will give their verdict on 19th July".
Ali Musa, another son of the former premier, was recently elected to the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament.
However, both Ali Musa and Abdul Qadir have been linked to corruption scandals.
While Ali Musa has been accused of involvement in alleged irregularities in the import of a large quantity of the controlled drug Ephedrine, Abdul Qadir has been linked to a scam in the arrangement of the Haj pilgrimage.
Both brothers have denied the allegations levelled against them and Gilani has said his sons were framed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams