PPP slams Qureshi, with speculation over disciplinary action
Islamabad: The Pakistan People`s Party
on Sunday slammed former Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi for
saying that a US official arrested for killing two men could
not be given diplomatic immunity, with leaders accusing him of
working against the party`s interests.
Qureshi, who skipped the swearing-in ceremony for
Pakistan`s new cabinet on Friday after he learnt that the PPP
leadership had decided not to reallocate the foreign affairs
portfolio to him, said that US official Raymond Davis is not a
diplomat according to official records and experts in the
Foreign Office and could not be given "blanket diplomatic
"The kind of blanket immunity Washington is pressing
for Davis is not endorsed by the official record of the
Foreign Ministry", said Qureshi.
"On the basis of the official record and the advice
given to me by the technocrats and experts of the Foreign
Office, I could not certify him (Davis) as a diplomat", he
told The News daily.
The PPP launched a frontal attack on the former
minister after he made his views public.
PPP secretary general Raja Pervez Ashraf compared
Qureshi to late President Farooq Ahmad Khan Leghari, who had
dismissed former premier Benazir Bhutto`s government in 1996
despite belonging to the PPP.
The late President`s name is often used in Pakistani
politics to derisively refer to a turncoat.
Ashraf said the "tone and tenor of Qureshi indicates
that another Leghari is in the making in the party".
"Mr Shah Mahmood Qureshi`s fate will not be different
than that of Leghari", he added.
Information Minister Firdous Aashiq Awan, considered
close to PPP chief Asif Ali Zardari`s camp, said Qureshi`s
statements were not in Pakistan`s favour and would "create a
bad environment in the country".
"Shah Mahmood had not shown his concerns when he was
Foreign Minister and now these remarks about Davis are not in
favour of the country", Awan told a news channel.
Reports have suggested that the PPP decided to remove
Qureshi from the foreign ministry because of his decision not
to back a move by the party`s top leadership to grant
diplomatic immunity to Davis, who was arrested in Lahore last
month after he shot and killed two men.
Ashraf said Qureshi, like other former ministers, was
always given a chance by the PPP to provide inputs in the
government`s decision-making process and all party leaders had
unanimously agreed to the move to curtail the size of the
Qureshi "must realize that his efforts to pressurize
the party shall never become a reality as the party does not
owe its strength to individuals but to the people of
Pakistan", Ashraf said.
"It seems that Qureshi has joined the band wagon of
political actors hatching conspiracies against the party
leadership but this new conspiracy would also fail like the
previous ones", he added.
Ashraf said it was "quite strange" that Qureshi`s
revelations about the Davis case "came only after his
exclusion from the cabinet" though the incident was in the
news for the past few weeks and the PPP`s top leadership had
said that the matter would be decided by the courts.
There was "no ambiguity or confusion" in the
government`s stance, he said.
Questioning the veracity of Qureshi’s disclosures,
Ashraf said he had insisted on keeping the foreign affairs
portfolio after being offered the water and power ministry.
This showed that Mr Qureshi`s conscience awakened to
the call of his personal interest and not the national
interest as he is trying to prove by feeding false stories to
the media, he added.
A section of the PPP`s leadership has also said that
Qureshi might face disciplinary action if he does not clear
his position to the party chief, President Zardari.
Relations between Pakistan and the US have plunged to
a new low over the diplomatic immunity row for Davis.
Pakistani leaders have rebuffed repeated US demands
for Davis to be freed on the ground that he has diplomatic
The US has suspended all high-level contacts with
Pakistan and postponed a crucial trilateral meeting later this
month that was to discuss the situation in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27