PPP to consult all political forces to ensure fair polls
Islamabad: The ruling Pakistan People`s Party today decided to start consultations with all political forces for ensuring free and fair polls to the national and provincial assemblies, which are set to complete their tenure in March.
The core committee of the PPP, during a meeting held here this evening, urged Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to hold consultations with "all political forces on the mode and modalities for holding elections to the national and provincial assemblies in a free, fair, transparent and peaceful manner," said a statement issued by the premier`s office.
Ashraf announced he would formally start the consultation process. The meeting reviewed the political situation in the country with a focus on holding free and fair elections in accordance with the law and Constitution.
The PPP`s top leadership resolved that the elections "within the time limit stipulated in the Constitution and will not be delayed even for a day".
The meeting felicitated the premier for handling "recent threats mounted by some elements to postpone the elections".
Though the statement did not name these elements, the PPP leadership was apparently referring to the recent protest by cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, who had demanded the dissolution of the assemblies and the formation of a caretaker government after consultations with the army and the judiciary.
Qadri ended a four-day protest in Islamabad after signing a face-saving deal with the government last week.
The PPP and opposition parties have accused Qadri of acting as a front for the security establishment in order to delay polls scheduled to be held in May.
The parliament will complete its term on March 16 and federal ministers have said that the next general election will be held by mid-May.
In recent weeks, cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri had mounted a
protest against the government to push his demand for electoral reforms.
A sit-in by thousands of Qadri`s followers near parliament ended after the government and the cleric signed an agreement last week.
Ashraf said the "amicable solution" of Qadri`s protest was proof of his government`s "respect" for all democratic forces.
The policy of reconciliation was introduced by the PPP to bring the country out of crisis and all political parties were being taken on board on almost all national issues, he said.
The Council of Common Interest discussed several development projects, including schemes aimed at using coal deposits in Thar to set up thermal power plants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark