`PPP will sacrifice 10 PMs, won`t write Swiss letter`
Karachi: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leader and Sindh Assembly Speaker Nisar Khuhro has said his party would willingly sacrifice 10 prime ministers, but would not write a letter to the Swiss authorities challenging the President`s immunity.
The Supreme Court had last month issued a contempt notice to Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf for not implementing its order of writing to the Swiss authorities asking to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The Dawn quoted Khuhro, as saying that the Pakistani judiciary, under the pretence of the ``doctrine of necessity``, had always supported martial law and then later apologised.
Khuhro said the President has immunity according to the Constitution, and that the courts should rule that no criminal case be tried against Zardari as long as he is the President.
The Supreme Court dismissed Yousuf Raza Gilani as premier on June 19, after convicting him of contempt in April for refusing to reopen the multi-million-dollar case against Zardari.
Incumbent Premier Ashraf was elected after Gilani`s dismissal.
The allegations against Zardari date back to the 1990s, when he and his late wife, former premier Benazir Bhutto were suspected of using Swiss bank accounts to launder USD 12 million allegedly paid in bribes by companies seeking customs inspection contracts.
The Swiss shelved the case in 2008 when Zardari became president and the government had been insisting that the president has full immunity. But in 2009 the apex court overturned the NRO ordering that the cases be reopened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!