Prachanda accuses govt of trying to disrupt peace process
Kathmandu: Holding the government responsible for killing of landless squatters in Kailali district in western Nepal, Maoist leader Pushpa Kamal Dahal `Prachanda` said this was aimed at derailing the peace process.
"The recent killing of landless people at Dudejhari forest in Kailali district is part of the government`s plot to derail the peace process," Prachanda said.
Five landless squatters and a policeman were killed during a clash in Kailali last week, where policemen had allegedly dismantled thousands of temporary shelters built by landless people with the support of local Maoists by clearing the forest.
"The government knows that the peace process would benefit the poor, landless and eventually the Maoists," he said here yesterday during the launch of a photo exhibition titled ‘From Civil War to Peace Accord’, and added "that is why the government is trying to disrupt the peace process."
The government, meanwhile, has formed a Landless Squatters Commission to look into the Kailali incident. Prachanda also warned of launching a massive agitation in protest against the Dudejhari incident if a political consensus on the incident could not be forged on the issue by December 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here