Prachanda accuses India of meddling in Nepal`s affairs
Kathmandu: Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal alias ``Prachanda`` has accused India of meddling in Nepal`s affairs.
Addressing a victory rally to wrap up a three-day nationwide general strike here on Tuesday, Prachanda accused the Indian Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor of opposing the merger of the Maoist People`s Liberation Army with the Nepal Army.
Nepal`s Army Chief General Chhatraman Singh Gurung was in India at the invitation of General Deepak Kapoor last week to receive traditional honour of being declared General of the Indian Army by the Indian President.
During the visit, General Kapoor was said to have stated that he was against the merger of the Maoists` People`s Liberation Army with the Nepal Army as it would lead to the politicisation of the Nepal Army.
"Who has given the right to Indian army chief to direct Nepal to not recruit Maoists into Nepalese Army?" Prachanda asked.
Linking the Indian army chief`s statement to Nepal`s sovereignty, Prachanda said that he would only talk to authorities in New Delhi and not to those in Kathmandu.
"The statement of Indian army chief is linked to the sovereignty and independence of Nepal. Freedom of Nepal is directly related to the sovereignty of its people. We cannot establish the sovereignty of the people until we win the battle of national freedom, for which we are ready to talk to India," he said.
However, leaders of all other major political parties of Nepal have condemned Prachanda`s statement.
Nepali Congress vice president Ram Chandra Poudel termed Prachanda`s statement as an expression of defeated mentality.
NC leader Krishna Situala said, the Maoists are blaming others to cover their own weaknesses by calling New Delhi for talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH