This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Prachanda attacker unmoved despite being bailed out by him

Last Updated: Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 00:11

Kathmandu: A 29-year-old man, who hit headlines both at home and abroad for slapping Prachanda at a public event, says he attacked the Maoist supremo because of his "failure to exhibit responsible behaviour" towards those injured in the decade-long war against the monarchy in Nepal.

"People are filled with anger due to such behaviour of leaders, therefore, political leaders should beware of such attacks in future," Padam Kunwar told reporters here, as he walked free out of jail after Prachanda deposited his bail amount of Rs 28,000.

Kunwar`s entire family was involved in the Maoists` `People`s War` against the now-defunct monarchy and his brother and sister were injured in the conflict-related violence.

"I slapped Chairman Prachanda as the Maoist leader has failed to exhibit responsible behaviour towards those injured in the decade-long conflict, including my sister and brother," he said.

"Public support to me shows anger in people," he said and warned leaders that such acts can be repeated by others in future.
He argued that anxiety in people is on rise as political leaders have chained the nation in a deadlock for a long time.

In response to a question, Kunwar said he has not yet thought of joining politics but made it clear that he will "keep pressing leaders for consensus (to form a unity government) and will get involved in social work."
Kunwar had slapped Prachanda during a Diwali tea reception organised by the Maoist party in the capital on November 16. He was then beaten black and blue by Maoist cadres before police intervened to save him.

Kunwar said he was interrogated five times by police. He claimed that he had fallen unconscious during one of the interrogations.

He had spent a night in jail after he failed to pay Rs 28,000 bail amount, having already spent three weeks in police custody. However, an aide of Prachanda went to the Kathmandu District Court yesterday and deposited the money.

Kunwar`s family members had also collected Rs 154,000 from different people and institutions within Nepal and abroad for his help.

"If he (Prachanda) really wanted to see me free, I should not have been made to spend even a night in the jail," said Kunwar. "He had no mercy on me while I languished in police custody for three weeks," he added.

Bhim Bharati, brother-in-law of Kunwar, said they would return the money to Prachanda.


First Published: Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 00:11
comments powered by Disqus