Prachanda ready to disband guerrilla army
Kathmandu: As Nepal`s political parties
struggled to reach a compromise on Thursday, the Maoist chief said
he was ready to dissolve the party`s paramilitary organisation
and facilitate the integration of its combatants in a bid to
end the standoff between the government and the former rebels.
Prachanda, who is also the supreme commander of the
Maoists` People’s Liberation Army, said his party was ready to
dissolve the para-military structure of the Young Communist
League (YCL), the youth wing of the party, within 4-5 days and
integrate and rehabilitate the Maoist combatants within four
"We’ll dismantle the barracks of the Young Communist
League within four-five days. We are ready to break the
relation of the party with the cantonments," he underlined.
Unified CPN-Maoist is also ready to return the land
and property seized during the decade-long insurgency as per
the demands of the other political parties at the earliest,
Prachanda said during an interaction with members of the civil
society in the capital yesterday.
Prachanda said the party was ready to categorise the
Maoist combatants by mid-June in a bid to speed up the
integration of the former rebels.
While the former rebels want an en masse induction of
some 19,500 former guerrillas, the ruling parties say the
Maoists inflated the size of the PLA and are entitled to have
only 3,500-4,000 combatants accommodated in the military.
Major political parties have asked the Maoists to
disband their para-military groups and turn their organisation
into a civilian party and return properties seized before they
could consider supporting a government led by the Maoists.
Prachanda also asked for the setting up of a
reconciliation commission to establish the whereabout of
nearly 1,000 people who went missing during the People’s War
and are feared to have been killed by security forces or the
former rebels themselves.
Nepali Congress, the second largest party in the
601-member Constituent Assembly, has asked the Maoists to
implement its commitments so as to end the political deadlock.
Sher Bahadur Deuba, the former Prime Minister of the
Nepali Congress, said though the Maoists commitments were
positive, they should put these commitments into practice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday