Prachanda seeks support from NC for peace process
Kathmandu: Maoist supremo Prachanda appealed
to the main opposition Nepali Congress party to cooperate with
the ruling alliance to push forward the stalled peace process
amid a row over the rehabilitation of former rebels.
Nepali Congress Vice-President Ram Chandra Poudyal met
Prachanda at the latter`s residence at Nayabzaar here and
discussed the ongoing peace process and constitution
During the meeting Prachanda asked cooperation from main
opposition Nepali Congress to conclude the peace process and
draft a new constitution, the twin tasks entrusted to the
Poudyal told Prachanda that the Nepali Congress was ready
to extend cooperation to the government in concluding the
peace process and drafting the constitution if the Maoists
were sincere towards peace and constitution, sources close to
Nepali Congress said.
They have also agreed to hold a meeting between Nepali
Congress president Sushil Koirala and Prachanda to discuss the
current political situation and the peace process in a day or
two to, the Nepali Congress said.
Meanwhile, Nepali Congress Vice President Poudyal has
said that his party was serious about concluding the peace
process and constitution drafting process.
Speaking in a party workers gathering in Chitwan
district in southern Nepal today Poudyal said the Nepali
Congress would not compromise with any force in such a way
that places the peace and constitution at risk.
He expressed the view that the task of taking the peace
process to a conclusion and drafting of the new constitution
would be easier if the largest party in the Parliament Unified
CPN ( Maoist) shows sincerity towards these twin tasks."
"Our party wants to see the completion of the peace
process and constitution drafting process as early as
"The Maoist combatants inside the cantonments are still
under the direct supervision of the Maoist leadership despite
they are said to be brought under the monitoring of the
Special Committee", NC leader Poudyal said.
Integration of the Maoist combatants should be carried
out as per the criteria set by the Nepal Army, he said and
ruled out the possibility of their bulk entry into the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi