Prachanda warns of grave consequences if no consensus forged
Kathmandu: Nepal Maoists leader Prachanda
Saturday warned that the country will have to face grave
consequences if consensus is not forged at the earliest to
resolve the current political deadlock.
Speaking at a function organised by pro-Maoist university
teachers` union in Lalitpur near the capital the Unified
CPN-Maoist supremo said, "The nation will face grave
consequences if there is a delay in forging consensus as the
context the peace process has reached a critical phase."
Stressing that the formation of a national unity
government is essential for consensus, Prachanda said:
"Despite the extension of CA tenure, the new statute cannot be
promulgated unless a national unity government is formed," he
He also alleged that the government was backing regressive
force and warned that the nation would plunge into a grave
crisis if the Madav Kumar Nepal-led government continues to
rule the country further.
The Maoists are demanding for dissolution of the current
22-party coalition government as the new Constitution is
unlikely to be promulgated within the stipulated time frame of
May 28, 2010.
Prachanda also rejected the government`s proposal to
integrate 3,000 Maoist combatants in the national army, saying
"the PLA integration should take place as per the agreement
between the government and UCPN-Maoist."
Any decision made by the government unilaterally will be
unacceptable to the party, he said.
However, Deputy Prime Minister Sujata Koirala said that
she was not in favour of changing the incumbent government.
The Nepali Congress was against anarchy at a time when
there is necessity of new Constitution, she said.
She also asked the Unified CPN (Maoist) to dismantle the
paramilitary structure of the Young Communist League, return
the confiscated property to the rightful owners and stop the
rampant deforestation done in the name of landless squatters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February