Prachanda`s leadership at stake?
Kathmandu: After remaining unchallenged as its supremo for over two decades, Prachanda`s leadership of Nepal`s Maoist party is now at stake after it faced a humiliating defeat in the assembly polls.
Arguing that the UCPN-M has been led by a single man for over 22 years, senior Maoist leader Baburam Bhattarai has demanded a change in the leadership during a high level meeting yesterday, according to party sources.
Addressing the ongoing Central Committee meeting of the party at its headquarters, former prime minister Bhattarai forcefully raised the issue of change in party leadership. He said the leadership of same person for too long could give rise to "autocracy" within the party.
"If the same leader assumes leadership on all fronts, including the party`s organisation, its ideology and its state powers for long, it may give birth to a dictator within the party," Bhattarai was quoted by the national daily Republica as saying.
Bhattarai insisted that this was a right time to hand over the party leadership as the issue had been deferred in the past on various pretexts, such as that the party was at war, or in the peace process, or facing elections.
"We deferred the issue several times in the past. But since we are trying to reform the party organisation this is the most opportune time for handing over leadership," he said.
Bhattarai`s remarks were apparently targeted at 59-year-old Pushpa Kamal Dahal, popularly known as Prachanda.
The UCPN-Maoist, which had emerged as the largest party in the first assembly polls in 2008, was reduced to the third position in November 19 Constituent Assembly polls. The party won 80 seats in the 601-member assembly.
Prachanda lost in one of the two constituencies he contested the polls from.
Senior party leaders, including Bhattarai and Narayan Kaji Shrestha, held Prachanda responsible for the poor show in the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India