Pranab refuses to comment on Zia snub
On Board Air India One: President Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday declined to comment on the apparent snub by Bangladesh opposition leader Khaleda Zia, who called off her scheduled meeting with him during his three-day state visit to Bangladesh.
"The FS (Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai has already spoken on it. I have nothing more to add," he told reporters in reply to a query on what he though about Zia calling off the meeting.
Zia, chairperson of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and former prime minister, had called off the meeting scheduled on Monday citing security concerns due to a strike called by the Jamaat-e-Islami.
Mathai had said the president had been looking forward to the meeting with Zia.
Zia had called on Mukherjee when she visited India last October.
Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu Moni in Dhaka Tuesday had described the opposition leader calling off the meeting as "very unfortunate" and as an incident that "should not have happened."
According to Moni, Zia had herself sought the meeting with the Indian president.
Zia`s BNP had called a strike on Tuesday, while a key alliance partner, the Jamaat-e-Islami had called a two-day strike, March 3-4. The strikes coincided with the visit of the Indian president.
Nearly 70 people have been killed in violent clashes in Bangladesh between Jamaat and the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh