Premadas`s son blames UNP leadership for poor performance
Colombo: Slain Sri lankan President R
Premadasa`s son and opposition UNP leader Sajith Premadasa has
blamed the party leadership for its poor performance in the
general elections and stressed the need for reforming the
Sajith, the senior United National Party
Parliamentarian from the South Eastern Hambantota district,
said the party needs to be reformed to represent the
grassroots, including labourers, farmers and fishermen.
"The reform should begin with where the power is
centred," he was quoted as saying by BBC`s Sinhala service, in
an apparent reference to UNP chief Ranil Wickramasinghe.
"The main reason for the failure to implement reforms
was that power is pretty much centralised in the party so the
responsibility lies with the party leader," he said.
His father Ranasinghe Premadasa was killed in 1993 by
an LTTE suicide bomber in Colombo.
Senior party members, however, called for unity in the
party in the face of the poor showing in the polls.
"This is not the time to create another crisis by
pulling the rug under its feet," Gampaha district MP Jayalath
Jayawardene told BBC Sandeshaya, the Sinhala service.
The UNP secured 46 seats out of 180 declared so far,
while the ruling United Peoples Freedom Alliance (UPFA) won
Jayawardene maintained that it was unfair to blame
only the party leadership for all the failures.
"I think we should honestly look back whether we all
did fulfil our responsibilities,? Jayawardene said.
The voter turnout in the April 8 Parliamentary
elections is estimated at around 53 per cent though the final
announcement by the Election Commission is expected in the
Wickremaisnghe claimed though the UPFA government was
re-elected it had no clear mandate due to low voter turnout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened