‘President, ISI funded anti-PPP elements’
Islamabad: A former Pakistani banker has told the Supreme Court about being forced by former president late Ghulam Ishaq Khan and ex-army chief Aslam Beg to arrange Rs.340 million in the "supreme national interest" as part of their bid to prevent Benazir Bhutto`s Pakistan Peoples` Party (PPP) from winning during 1990s.
A three-judge Supreme Court bench is hearing a case in which Pakistan`s spy agency Inter-State Services (ISI) has been accused of financing several politicians during the 1990 elections to create the Islami Jamhoori Ittehad (IJI) and prevent the PPP from winning, the Dawn reported on Friday.
The bench of Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Tariq Parvez on Thursday heard the statement of a wheelchair-bound Younus Habib, who headed the now defunct Mehran Bank.
The bench has taken up the 1996 petition of Tehrik-i-Istiqlal chief Air Martial (retd) Asghar Khan accusing the ISI of financing many politicians during the 1990 elections. The ISI allegedly dished out Rs.140 million for the purpose.
The petition was based on the affidavit of former ISI chief Asad Durrani.
"In all, I was asked to arrange Rs.350 million by the former president and the army chief before the 1990 general elections," said Habib while reading out from his affidavit.
On Thursday, the court ordered the defence ministry`s director (legal) Mohammad Hussain Shahbaz to submit reports on the working of security and intelligence agencies from 1990 till date.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know