Presidential Election campaign in Sri Lanka ends
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s Presidential Election campaign ended amid reports of violence, intimidation and irregularities ahead of the January 26 poll, police and election monitors said on Sunday.
The campaign for Tuesday`s election ended with the top candidates, President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his former Army commander retired General Sarath Fonseka, addressing rallies in the capital.
Police raided a Buddhist temple in Colombo and found 56 hand grenades, two T-56 assault rifles and munitions, military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara said.
The abbot, Uvathanne Sumana Thera, was arrested, he said.
The monk is a supporter of the opposition candidate Fonseka.
Inspector General of Police Mahinda Balasuriya warned of attempts to rig the elections by impersonating voters.
"We have reports that organised groups are planning to collect national identity cards of voters to impersonate them and vote. We have called the public to be alert on any attempts to collect these documents," Balasuriya said.
The national identity card is a compulsory document for voting and therefore could also prevent voters from casting their ballot.
In a separate incident, a Navy truck transporting posters against Fonseka was detected in north-western Sri Lanka.
More than 850 poll-related incidents including four deaths, attacks on political party offices, threatening of voters and shooting incidents were reported in the six-week campaign.
Nearly 70,000 policemen are being deployed for Tuesday`s elections for which 14 million voters are registered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack