Prison chiefs arrested over Afghan jailbreak
Kabul: Afghan authorities have arrested 15 people over a mass jailbreak in the country`s south including the prison chief, a deputy and four guards who were on duty at the time, the Justice Ministry said on Sunday.
The Kandahar prison`s security chief is also among those held, ministry spokesman Farid Ahmad Najibi said.
"As the investigation is ongoing, it`s difficult to determine whether any of the prison authorities were involved," Najibi added.
Almost 500 mostly Taliban inmates made it out of the prison in the April 25 mass escape through a 250-metre (270-yard) tunnel lined with lights and an air pipe, of whom 71 had been recaptured by Thursday, authorities said.
Provincial spokesman Zalmay Ayubi had said on Thursday that a number of people had been detained but did not provide further details, while a senior Kandahar police source speaking on condition of anonymity said prison officials and local police chiefs were among those arrested.
President Hamid Karzai`s office has said there were signs of inside involvement, while his spokesman Waheed Omer called the breakout a "disaster".
The mass escape could threaten gains made by international forces in the area as this year`s crucial fighting season gets under way, experts say.
The Afghan government is due to take full responsibility for security by 2014 from NATO-led international forces in Afghanistan.
Kandahar is the birthplace of the Taliban and the surrounding countryside is the scene of much of the worst fighting between the insurgents and international and Afghan forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'