Prisoners, police clash in Lanka; 42 wounded
Colombo: Prisoners and police clashed during a drug raid at Sri Lanka`s main prison here on Sunday, leaving at least 42 people wounded, officials said.
Prisoners beat up police who stormed into Welikada jail to carry out a search for hidden narcotics as part of a nation-wide anti-drug drive, they said.
The Director of Colombo National Hospital, Hector Weerasinghe, said 42 people were brought for treatment following the violence.
"We are not sure of the identity of the victims, but we have 42 people brought for treatment," Weerasinghe said.
The clash came after an announcement by the police who said over 11,000 suspects have been arrested in the drive and a large quantity of narcotics was also seized.
The raids, which started three weeks ago, led to over 3,000 court cases, with more to be filed soon, spokesman Prishantha Jayakody said.
The drug search was being extended to the Welikada prison today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended