Prisoners, police clash in Lanka; 42 wounded
Colombo: Prisoners and police clashed during a drug raid at Sri Lanka`s main prison here on Sunday, leaving at least 42 people wounded, officials said.
Prisoners beat up police who stormed into Welikada jail to carry out a search for hidden narcotics as part of a nation-wide anti-drug drive, they said.
The Director of Colombo National Hospital, Hector Weerasinghe, said 42 people were brought for treatment following the violence.
"We are not sure of the identity of the victims, but we have 42 people brought for treatment," Weerasinghe said.
The clash came after an announcement by the police who said over 11,000 suspects have been arrested in the drive and a large quantity of narcotics was also seized.
The raids, which started three weeks ago, led to over 3,000 court cases, with more to be filed soon, spokesman Prishantha Jayakody said.
The drug search was being extended to the Welikada prison today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview