Prisoners, police clash in Lanka; 42 wounded
Colombo: Prisoners and police clashed during a drug raid at Sri Lanka`s main prison here on Sunday, leaving at least 42 people wounded, officials said.
Prisoners beat up police who stormed into Welikada jail to carry out a search for hidden narcotics as part of a nation-wide anti-drug drive, they said.
The Director of Colombo National Hospital, Hector Weerasinghe, said 42 people were brought for treatment following the violence.
"We are not sure of the identity of the victims, but we have 42 people brought for treatment," Weerasinghe said.
The clash came after an announcement by the police who said over 11,000 suspects have been arrested in the drive and a large quantity of narcotics was also seized.
The raids, which started three weeks ago, led to over 3,000 court cases, with more to be filed soon, spokesman Prishantha Jayakody said.
The drug search was being extended to the Welikada prison today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3