Prisoners, police clash in Lanka; 42 wounded
Colombo: Prisoners and police clashed during a drug raid at Sri Lanka`s main prison here on Sunday, leaving at least 42 people wounded, officials said.
Prisoners beat up police who stormed into Welikada jail to carry out a search for hidden narcotics as part of a nation-wide anti-drug drive, they said.
The Director of Colombo National Hospital, Hector Weerasinghe, said 42 people were brought for treatment following the violence.
"We are not sure of the identity of the victims, but we have 42 people brought for treatment," Weerasinghe said.
The clash came after an announcement by the police who said over 11,000 suspects have been arrested in the drive and a large quantity of narcotics was also seized.
The raids, which started three weeks ago, led to over 3,000 court cases, with more to be filed soon, spokesman Prishantha Jayakody said.
The drug search was being extended to the Welikada prison today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof