Pro-govt tribal leader shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: Suspected militants shot dead a pro-government tribal elder in the Dera Ismail Khan region of Pakistan`s restive northwest Tuesday, police said.
The attackers, who were riding a motorcycle, shot and killed Muhammad Farooq Gandapur, a former member of an anti-Taliban militia, at Rori in Dera Ismail Khan district, police officials said.
The killers managed to escape by taking advantage of the darkness.
Eight members of pro-government "peace committees" or anti-Taliban militias have been killed in targeted attacks in Dera Ismail Khan and nearby Tank over the past two years.
The banned Pakistani Taliban have killed scores of pro-government elders and members of private militias in the country`s northwest since 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days