Pro-govt tribal leader shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: Suspected militants shot dead a pro-government tribal elder in the Dera Ismail Khan region of Pakistan`s restive northwest Tuesday, police said.
The attackers, who were riding a motorcycle, shot and killed Muhammad Farooq Gandapur, a former member of an anti-Taliban militia, at Rori in Dera Ismail Khan district, police officials said.
The killers managed to escape by taking advantage of the darkness.
Eight members of pro-government "peace committees" or anti-Taliban militias have been killed in targeted attacks in Dera Ismail Khan and nearby Tank over the past two years.
The banned Pakistani Taliban have killed scores of pro-government elders and members of private militias in the country`s northwest since 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report