Probe into Pakistani PM case suspended
Islamabad: The probe into the rental power projects corruption case in which the Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf would remain deferred until the investigation into the death of a National Accountability Bureau (NAB) official concludes.
NAB Chairman Admiral (retd) Fasih Bukhari said the probe in the rental power plants case would remain pending until the inquiry in Kamran Faisal`s death concludes, Geo News reported Tuesday.
Kamran Faisal, an assistant director with the country`s anti-corruption agency National Accountability Bureau (NAB), was in the team probing the Rental Power Plants (RPP) case. He was found hanging Jan 18.
Bukhari said in a statement that NAB investigation officers would be provided arms training for their protection.
He said any officer facing threats or pressure would be provided protection.
The top official said they may initiate inquiry into Kamran`s death if the investigations proved unsatisfactory.
Pakistan`s Supreme Court Jan 15 ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Ashraf over his involvement in the corruption case.
Ashraf was accused of violating rules in granting rental power projects when he was minister for water and power.
The apex court had ordered the prime minister`s arrest along with 16 others -- former ministers and officials involved in the projects.
It also asked the anti-corruption panel to ensure that no one flees the country.
The apex court in its earlier verdict in March 2012 had observed that rules and regulations were violated in the projects due to which the national exchequer witnessed losses worth billions of rupees.
The court has declared the rental power projects illegal and also ordered them to be shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you