Probe into Pakistani PM case suspended
Islamabad: The probe into the rental power projects corruption case in which the Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf would remain deferred until the investigation into the death of a National Accountability Bureau (NAB) official concludes.
NAB Chairman Admiral (retd) Fasih Bukhari said the probe in the rental power plants case would remain pending until the inquiry in Kamran Faisal`s death concludes, Geo News reported Tuesday.
Kamran Faisal, an assistant director with the country`s anti-corruption agency National Accountability Bureau (NAB), was in the team probing the Rental Power Plants (RPP) case. He was found hanging Jan 18.
Bukhari said in a statement that NAB investigation officers would be provided arms training for their protection.
He said any officer facing threats or pressure would be provided protection.
The top official said they may initiate inquiry into Kamran`s death if the investigations proved unsatisfactory.
Pakistan`s Supreme Court Jan 15 ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Ashraf over his involvement in the corruption case.
Ashraf was accused of violating rules in granting rental power projects when he was minister for water and power.
The apex court had ordered the prime minister`s arrest along with 16 others -- former ministers and officials involved in the projects.
It also asked the anti-corruption panel to ensure that no one flees the country.
The apex court in its earlier verdict in March 2012 had observed that rules and regulations were violated in the projects due to which the national exchequer witnessed losses worth billions of rupees.
The court has declared the rental power projects illegal and also ordered them to be shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days