Probe into Pakistani PM case suspended
Islamabad: The probe into the rental power projects corruption case in which the Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf would remain deferred until the investigation into the death of a National Accountability Bureau (NAB) official concludes.
NAB Chairman Admiral (retd) Fasih Bukhari said the probe in the rental power plants case would remain pending until the inquiry in Kamran Faisal`s death concludes, Geo News reported Tuesday.
Kamran Faisal, an assistant director with the country`s anti-corruption agency National Accountability Bureau (NAB), was in the team probing the Rental Power Plants (RPP) case. He was found hanging Jan 18.
Bukhari said in a statement that NAB investigation officers would be provided arms training for their protection.
He said any officer facing threats or pressure would be provided protection.
The top official said they may initiate inquiry into Kamran`s death if the investigations proved unsatisfactory.
Pakistan`s Supreme Court Jan 15 ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Ashraf over his involvement in the corruption case.
Ashraf was accused of violating rules in granting rental power projects when he was minister for water and power.
The apex court had ordered the prime minister`s arrest along with 16 others -- former ministers and officials involved in the projects.
It also asked the anti-corruption panel to ensure that no one flees the country.
The apex court in its earlier verdict in March 2012 had observed that rules and regulations were violated in the projects due to which the national exchequer witnessed losses worth billions of rupees.
The court has declared the rental power projects illegal and also ordered them to be shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22