Prosecutor in Pervez Musharraf case says he is receiving threats
Islamabad: The prosecutor appointed by the Pakistan government for former military ruler Pervez Musharraf`s treason trial on Saturday claimed "secret agencies" were threatening him and his family to dislodge him from the case.
Akram Shiekh, a lawyer considered to be close to the ruling PML-N and known for his right-wing views, told the media he would continue as the prosecutor despite the threats.
"I respect secret agencies but they should be aware that their cases are also in courts," he said. He added he was not scared of anybody except God.
"I will plead the treason case against Pervez Musharraf come what may," he was quoted as saying by Geo News.
The government has formed a special court to try 70-year-old Musharraf for treason for imposing emergency in 2007. He skipped the first two hearings convened by the court, citing security concerns after explosives were found near his home.
While being driven to the third hearing on Thursday, Musharraf had a "heart attack" and was admitted to a military hospital in Rawalpindi.
Shiekh claimed Musharraf`s vehicle was diverted to the military hospital from the route to the special court after a "phone call". He did not give details.
He said doctors should produce Musharraf`s blood sample to "reveal the facts".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know