Protest against price hike disrupts life in Nepal
Kathmandu: Normal life was thrown out of gear in Nepal on Friday following a half-day strike enforced by Mohan Vaidya-led breakaway faction of CPN-Maoist to protest against price hike in essential commodities in the country.
All schools and colleges were closed, major markets remained shut down and vehicles were off the roads in Kathmandu and other major cities of the country in response to the shut down.
Business activities were down and people faced hardships in absence of both private and public transport services.
Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai`s government has increased the price of petroleum products five times within a period of one year.
The market prices of essential commodities have soared over the past few years as one after another government formed since the 2006 Peoples Movement that abolished monarchy, failed to control price rise, check corruption and irregularities resulting in frustration among the general public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says