Protesters attack Nepal PM`s motorcade
Kathmandu: Hundreds of opposition-backed protesters demanding the resignation of Nepal`s Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai on Monday attacked his motorcade and clashed with riot police at the airport here.
The incident occurred as Bhattarai arrived at the airport to leave for Brazil to attend the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development slated for June 20-22, as the head of a 21-member delegation.
Students affiliated to the opposition parties Nepali Congress and CPN-UML this afternoon called for Prime Minister Bhattarai`s resignation showing black flags at the Tribhuvan International Airport, the Himalayan Times reported.
Riot police blocked the protesters, who pelted the Prime Minister`s motorcade with stones.
Three persons were injured while two vehicles were vandalised during the clash between the demonstrators and the security personnel, police said.
Bhattarai has flown to Rio de Janeiro despite advice from diplomatic and political circles that the head of a caretaker government cannot truly represent the country reeling under political uncertainty.
On his part, PM Bhattarai defended his trip claiming that his participation at the international forum is indispensable, adding the conference offers an opportunity to highlight the problems facing Nepal and other environmentally vulnerable Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
Altogether 150 heads of government are attending the conference, which marks the 20th anniversary of the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development held in Rio de Janeiro in June 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video