Protesting Dhaka judges forcibly retired, reinstated
Dhaka: Two judges who led a hundred others in a demonstration against a government decision were forced into retirement, but have been reinstated after they apologised.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina told her cabinet colleagues Monday that the conduct of the two judges was "unseemly".
The public which approaches the court for redressal of its problems, does not expect "such indecorous behaviour from judges", she was quoted as saying by New Age newspaper.
The ministers too felt that the senior district judges Abdul Gafoor and Mohammed Shahjahan had tarnished the country`s image with their conduct.
But the government Sunday night cancelled the forced retirement of the two judges who are office bearers of the Bangladesh Judicial Service Association.
Hasina told the cabinet that the government had cancelled the forced retirement of the two judges as they had apologised for their misbehaviour.
Four days after they were forced into retirement, the law ministry issued a gazette notification Sunday night repealing the earlier notification.
The Central Secretariat, which is in the heart of the national capital, July 27 witnessed a noisy demonstration by around 100 judges who arrived in several buses and sought entry without prior appointment.
They protested the separation of the department in the home ministry that recruits them and its being brought under the law Ministry. They were not consulted, media reports said.
The government called in the police and the elite Rapid Action Battalion (RAB).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened