Protests in Sri Lanka over UN resolution
Colombo: A number of protests are being carried out in Sri Lanka over the US sponsored UN Human Rights Council resolution on the island nation.
Activists of the Council for National Unity today walked to the Indian High Commission, US embassy and the British High Commission urging the scrapping of the resolution.
Members, consisting the Tamil minority businessmen from the main business district of Fort, stressed that the resolution would harm the hard won peace in Sri Lanka.
Later in the evening, a mass `adhistana pooja` or a prayer of determination is to be held in the Colombo Town Hall premises with the participation of some 4000 Buddhist monks and Hindu, Catholic and Islamic religious leaders.
"The pooja and satyagraha will invoke the strength courage and blessings on all patriots to defeat the US sponsored anti-Sri Lankan resolution", the organisers said.
Sri Lanka stays bitterly opposed to the US resolution which aims to bind the government to the recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC).
The commission was appointed by President Mahinda Rajapaksa as Colombo`s answer to allegations of human rights abuses during the last phase of the military conflict with the LTTE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in