Putin calls off Pak visit
Islamabad: President Vladimir Putin has called off a scheduled visit to Islamabad, leading to the postponement of a quadrilateral summit of Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan and Afghanistan planned for next month, officials said thursday.
Putin was expected to arrive in Pakistan on October 2 for a two-day visit that was being projected by Pakistani officials as an opportunity to reset bilateral ties, which have been strained since the days of the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.
Officials said Putin had cancelled the visit without giving any reasons.
No fresh date for a visit was announced.
A statement issued by Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan said the quadrilateral summit of Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan and Afghanistan, which was planned in Islamabad during October 2-3, was "being rescheduled."
"New summit dates will be worked out after seeking convenience of the respective leaders through diplomatic channels," Khan said.
In a letter sent to Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, Putin expressed his eagerness to "jointly enhance our efforts to further develop Russian-Pakistani ties and advance mutually beneficial trade and economic projects," the statement said.
Putin wrote in the letter: "I am confident that in future we shall be able to find opportunities for arranging our personal meeting. We shall always be happy to receive you in Russia."
There was speculation that Putin`s decision to cancel his visit could be linked to Pakistan`s reluctance to award the work of building its section of the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline to Russian energy giant Gazprom.
The chief of the Russian firm had recently visited Pakistan and made presentations to the Foreign Ministry and other departments.
However, Gazprom had wanted the project to be awarded to it without bidding, something that Pakistan is reluctant to do.
Russia had made a proposal in this regard when Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar visited Russia earlier this year.
Pakistani officials have said such a step would violate the rules of the Public Procurement Regulatory Authority.
A consortium headed by the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China has already refused to provide financial advisory services for the Iran-Pakistan project, mainly because of US opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM