Qadri killed Taseer in his own capacity: Report
Islamabad: The investigation into the Salman Taseer assassination case has been completed and it has been confirmed that Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri had killed the then Punjab Governor in his own capacity, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Bani Ameen has said.
Ameen was head of the team tasked to investigate the assassination of liberal politician Taseer, who was shot dead by Qadri, one of his own elite security force protectors, the Daily Times reports.
Qadri had opened fire on him last month because of the governor’s support for the release of Pakistani-Christian woman Asia Bibi, who has been sentenced to death on blasphemy charges.
Ameen also said that the security of the VIPs who visited the federal capital had been enhanced, and expressed the hope that such kinds of incidents would not take place in future.
It is noteworthy that the Interior Ministry has instructed the capital police to enhance the security for VIPs to avert untoward incidents like Taseer’s assassination.
The federal capital police have decided to ensure security clearance of the officials to be deputed as guards with any VIP. The ICT police have also decided to depute additional force with VIPs visiting the federal capital, regardless of their visits being official or private.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what