Qaeda leaders in Pak behind NY subway plot
Washington: Veteran al Qaeda terrorist leaders in Pakistan directed and managed a foiled 2009 plot to attack New York`s subway system and also planned to strike the United Kingdom, US prosecutors have alleged.
The revelations came as prosecutors on Wednesday unsealed a terrorism indictment charging Adnan El Shukrijumah, al Qaeda`s leader of external operations, who has been the subject of a worldwide manhunt for seven years, with helping to recruit Colorado resident Najibullah Zazi for the foiled attack.
Zazi`s attempt to assemble and detonate improvised explosive devices was derailed by federal investigators on the eve of the eighth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Zazi pleaded guilty in February to his role in the plot.
Attorney General Eric Holder has called the thwarted New York plot one of the most dangerous since 9/11.
The investigation involving authorities in the US and Britain also revealed that El Shukrijumah`s associates were communicating with a British citizen, Abid Naseer, about a 2009 plot foiled in Manchester, England. Naseer was arrested on Wednesday by British authorities.
Between September and December 2008, prosecutors allege that El Shukrijumah and others recruited Zazi, a former Denver airport shuttle driver, and two other co-conspirators to conduct suicide bombings in New York using devices made from ordinary household supplies, such as hydrogen peroxide, acetone, flour and oil.
El Shukrijumah, a 34-year-old native of Saudi Arabia who once lived in South Florida, is known within al Qaeda circles as "Ja`far the Pilot" because of his skills as a pilot.
His rank in al Qaeda was first outlined to federal investigators by al Qaeda operations chief Khalid Sheikh Mohammed following his capture. Mohammed, a Pakistani in US custody, is awaiting trial as the mastermind of the September 11 attacks.
El Shukrijumah is charged specifically with providing and conspiring to provide material support to al Qaeda, conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction, assisting the receipt of military training, committing and attempting to commit an act of terrorism transcending national boundaries and using firearms in relation to the same offences.
He remains a fugitive and is the subject of a USD 5 million reward.
"These charges underscore the global nature of the terrorist threat we face," assistant attorney general David Kris said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe